Lentil soup is a great vegetarian recipe for real vegetarian (who doesn’t consume fish, fowl, meat), as it is high in protein. Below is just a variation of it, Suitable for vegans
- 1 lb. each of lentils and potatoes
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 1 medium-sized head of celery (or the outer pieces of a head of celery, saving the heart for table use)
- 1 cupful of tinned tomatoes or 200g of fresh ones
- 1 oz. of butter or oil (for vegan
- Ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Roughly chop up the onion, and fry it in the butter until beginning to go brown.
- Pick and wash the lentils (some lentils need to be soaked overnight in water)
- Set them over the fire with 2 quarts of water or vegetable stock, add the fried onion.
- Peel, wash them and cut up the potatoes. Wash and cut the celery into small pieces, and add all to the lentils.
- When they are nearly soft add all the tomatoes.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, add in pepper and salt, and more water if the soup is too thick.
- Serve with wine or whole grain brown bread.